Summer, in many countries, could be a challenging season to dress for both men and women. For fashionistas in India, it is more so, as they have to go through the endurance of the hot and humid climate for most of the year.
City-based fashion designer and renowned couturier, Ambrish Damani, shares some tricks and tools that would make one look both trendy and comfy this summer.
Summer is all about colours and it is always advisable to go with lighter shades. “Summer colours are always on the brighter side to jazz up your otherwise mundane look. Pastel colours, lighter hues like baby yellow, baby pink are very apt for this heat,” says Damani.
“One thing one has to keep in mind, whatever you do this summer should make you look fresh and happening. The colour should complement one’s personality and be soothing for this heat,” he adds.
An ideal summer look for boys and girls, Damani says is go for lighter flares with shimmer and bid adieu to the fitted clothes. Go all flowy!
Though silk is preferred by many for its natural shine and sublime feeling, there are always complaints that silk is too precious for summer and requires too much care. All silk items will always have the ‘dry cleaning’ advice for washing. Damani advises to go for chiffons and cotton and let your body breath.
For those who conscious about making a summer style statement, the time will never be better.
“This year thanks to the scorching heat, the fashionistas have taken the fight against the sweltering heat to their wardrobes. Summer friendly breezy fabrics with light pastel shades are not only making a style statement but also beating the heat with style,” adds Damani.
One up-side of the summer season is that one would need minimum accessories to jazz up their summer look.
“Go with less. Sport contrast bags, printed shoes, and not too much jewellery would do. Definitely, go for gelled up hair to beat the heat and look chic as well. Maxi dresses and kimonos for summer would also look cool and comfortable and very formal at the same time,” says Damani.
In summers, it’s all about maintaining a balance between casual and cool, comfortable yet chic, airy yet appropriate. Here are some tips Damani shared on how to beat this heat in style.
• Don’t wear dark colours as it absorbs heat, be sure to stick to a lot of pastel colours or lighter shades
• Definitely, go for natural fibres and breathable fabrics. Ditch your synthetics right now. Outfits made out of cotton and linen help you and your body to breathe which in turn helps to stay cool yet stylish.
• Most importantly, remember to use waterproof makeup as it will make sure that you look fresh all day and keep the product from literally melting off.
• Do not forget your SPF’s!!
• For summer weddings, try to pick summer fabrics and avoid silks and synthetics. Moreover, ditch the full sleeves or high neck blouses.