In a groundbreaking move, the 12th edition of the Mahindra Blues Festival (MBF) is set to make history by featuring an all-women lineup. Scheduled for the 10th and 11th of February 2024 at the iconic Mehboob Studios in Bandra, Mumbai, the festival promises a soulful celebration of blues like never before.
The Mahindra Blues Festival, renowned for its annual homage to the blues in the heart of Mumbai, has decided to transcend traditional boundaries by putting the spotlight on women’s influential yet often overlooked contributions to the blues genre. With an illustrious history rooted in social, political, and deeply personal narratives, the blues genre owes much of its evolution to pioneering women who brought it to the forefront of theaters, cabarets, and the recording industry.
Celebrating the Legacy of Blues Queens
The 2024 edition of the MBF is not just a lineup of performances; it’s a tribute to the enduring legacy and spirit of trailblazing women in the blues. From Ma Rainey, known as “The Mother of Blues,” to Bessie Smith and Big Mama Thornton, the festival pays homage to those who shaped the blues into the influential force it is today.
By curating a roster exclusively comprised of female artists from diverse corners of the world, the festival becomes a vibrant celebration of their resilience and artistry. This move is more than just a nod to the past; it’s a dynamic journey through the rhythms of empowerment and the melodies that have long been the lifeblood of blues music.
The Unforgettable Lineup
The festival lineup is a veritable feast of musical talent, showcasing a diverse range of blues artists:
- Vanessa Collier: Known for her soulful vocals and electrifying saxophone performances, Collier masterfully blends funk, soul, and blues.
- Sheryl Youngblood: A Chicago Blues Hall-Of-Famer and Gospel Grammy Group Award Winner, Youngblood is vivacious and exuberant, leaving a lasting impact on her audience.
- Beth Hart: A Grammy-nominated artist, Hart’s raw and expressive vocal power is central to her performances, captivating audiences with deep emotions.
- Dana Fuchs: Fuchs, with her raspy, bluesy voice, adds a contemporary edge to traditional blues, delivering passionate and energetic performances.
- Samantha Fish: Celebrated for her unbridled energy, visceral rhythms, and spine-tingling vocals, Fish blends traditional blues with a modern sensibility.
- Tipriti Kharbangar: Hailing from Shillong, Kharbangar brings vibrant energy and a unique cultural perspective, reflecting the rich musical heritage of the region.
Honoring the Past, Celebrating the Future
Mark your calendars for an unforgettable weekend of musical transcendence. The Mahindra Blues Festival invites you to join in celebrating the queens of blues, a genre that continues to resonate with passion, soul, and authenticity. More than just a musical event, the festival is a movement, a celebration of life, and a tribute to the powerful women who have given voice to the blues through their artistry and passion.
Empowering Through Music
Jay Shah, Vice President – Cultural Outreach, Mahindra Group, expresses his excitement, “The Mahindra Blues has been a cornerstone of our cultural initiatives that seek to spark meaningful conversations across diverse communities through art and music, evolving into a dynamic platform that brings together individuals sharing a love for the blues.”
Supporting Emerging Talent
Continuing its tradition of discovering and nurturing new talent, the MBF’s digitally run Mahindra Blues Band Hunt is set to spotlight emerging Indian blues artists, offering them a platform to shine alongside these legendary women of blues.
The Blues In Schools Initiative
The festival will also feature the “Blues In Schools” initiative on the Garden Stage, showcasing students from the Kanakia Beatz Crew and the Nanhi Kali Choir ensemble.
Don’t Miss the Blues Odyssey
Step into this blues odyssey and be part of a historic celebration at the 12th edition of the Mahindra Blues Festival. Tickets are now live on BookMyShow, and the festival promises an unparalleled musical journey celebrating the women who embody the spirit of blues.