Connect with us

The Plunge Daily

Tier 2/3 cities lead in overseas education in 2022: University Living

50% of students find booking accommodations early for a hassle free study abroad journey : University Living report


Tier 2/3 cities lead in overseas education in 2022: University Living

University Living, a leading global student housing platform, has released a detailed report analysing the number of students applying to universities abroad, the most popular colleges, students’ accommodation preferences, study abroad demand, etc. The report revealed several interesting insights, including the surge in the number of students on the University Living platform from tier 2 and tier 3 cities, which has gone from 35% in 2021 to 61% in 2022. Here are some of the findings:

Siliguri, Nagpur, Coimbatore, Agra, and Ludhiana were the top 5 cities that saw the highest year-on-year increase in the number of students on University Living’s platform aiming to study abroad. But where did they apply? University Living’s recent report revealed that the UK, Ireland, Australia, and Canada were some of the most preferred countries for these students.

In the UK, students largely applied to the University of Liverpool, University of Leeds, Nottingham Trent University, Queen Mary University London, University of Westminster, and Aston University, Birmingham. In Ireland, Trinity College Dublin, University College Dublin, National College of Ireland, Dublin Business School, and UCD Belfield Campus took the top spots. As per our internal data in the country down under, most students preferred the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT), The University of Melbourne, The University of Sydney, Macquarie University, Sydney, and the University of Adelaide. Finally, in Canada, the University of Toronto, Toronto Metropolitan University (Ryerson University), George Brown College, York University, and Concordia University emerged as the most popular colleges chosen.

Post receiving their admission letters from their preferred universities, the study abroad journey begins. From loans to finding accommodation, and other related services, students will need to ensure everything is in place before they move abroad. As per University Living’s report, out of all the students applying to the aforementioned universities, only 20% find accommodation at the University Halls. The remaining 80% of them seek accommodation outside in PBSAs and other private apartments. Besides, around 70-80% of students planning to go abroad seek help with their post-admission requirements, especially those hailing from Southeast Asia, the Middle East, and Asia Pacific regions.

Further, University Living’s recent report also revealed that loan applications on its platform rose 4X in 2022 compared to last year. And when it came to the gender ratio, around 57% of students going abroad were males, and 43% were females.

Saurabh Arora, Founder and CEO of University Living, said, “The days when only students from tier-1 and metro cities moved abroad for their higher education are long gone. With rapid digitisation that has blurred boundaries and greater exposure to the abundance of choices available for pursuing higher education, students from tier 2 and tier 3 cities are increasingly choosing to study overseas. University Living’s report provided in-depth insights into the numerous trends that have emerged. Our platform has also grown in every aspect, including geographical footprint, the number of students we’ve reached, and revenue, among other aspects. Our approach has always been a digital-first and student-centric one, and we remain committed to creating pleasant experiences for students.”

Incepted in 2015, University Living is an intelligent retrieval platform that offers a global student housing managed marketplace. It helps students across the globe find suitable and secure accommodation near their university campuses.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

To Top