E! News
Prince Harry and Meghan Reportedly Plan Shock Return to Britain
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly preparing for a dramatic return to Britain, with the Sussexes said to be moving from California and enrolling their children in British schools.
Prince Harry and Meghan Markle could be heading back to the UK more than six years after their explosive departure from royal life.
The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are reportedly planning to relocate to Britain later this month, according to reports cited by CNN and The Telegraph. The couple is expected to move into a private, non-royal residence outside London while retaining their properties in California and Portugal.
The potential move represents one of the biggest developments in the Sussexes’ relationship with Britain since they stepped down as senior working royals in 2020.
Archie and Lilibet Reportedly Set for UK Schools
The most striking detail is the reported plan for the couple’s children, Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, to attend British schools during the upcoming academic year.
According to The Telegraph, the children have reportedly been enrolled for the September term.
If confirmed, the move would represent a major change for the young royals, who have spent most of their lives in California since Harry and Meghan relocated to the United States.
The family is also reportedly expected to maintain its Montecito home, meaning the return may not represent a complete break from their American life.
King Charles Has Been Informed
King Charles is understood to have been informed about the relocation plans on Sunday.
The development follows a significant family reunion in July, when King Charles and Queen Camilla hosted Harry, Meghan and their children at Highgrove House in Gloucestershire.
It was reportedly the first time in four years that King Charles had seen the entire Sussex family together.
The King is said to welcome the prospect of spending more time privately with his son, daughter-in-law and grandchildren. However, Buckingham Palace’s position on the couple’s official status remains unchanged.
Harry and Meghan will remain private individuals and non-working members of the Royal Family.
The Prince and Princess of Wales are also reportedly aware of the plans.
Harry’s Security Battle Could Become Crucial
The biggest obstacle to the Sussexes’ return has long been Prince Harry’s security arrangements.
Harry previously argued that changes to his taxpayer-funded security protection made it unsafe for Meghan and their children to return to Britain.
After losing his legal challenge over the arrangements in May 2025, Harry said he could not see a situation in which he would bring his wife and children back to the UK.
The issue now takes on renewed significance if the reported relocation goes ahead.
The family’s security arrangements have not been publicly disclosed, meaning it remains unclear what protection Harry, Meghan and their children would receive while living in Britain.
A Royal Family Reconciliation?
The reported move comes after years of public tension between Harry and other members of the Royal Family.
The Sussexes left Britain after citing intense media scrutiny, concerns about racism and difficult family dynamics. Their subsequent interviews, documentary projects and Harry’s memoir further exposed divisions within the family.
Yet Harry has also repeatedly expressed a desire for reconciliation.
After his 2025 security ruling, he said he would “love reconciliation” with his family and said he no longer wanted to keep fighting.
The July reunion with Charles may have provided an important opening for rebuilding those relationships.
What Happens Next?
Harry and Meghan’s reported move could give Charles greater access to Archie and Lilibet while allowing the Sussexes to remain financially and professionally independent.
The couple is expected to retain their international media commitments, including their continuing relationship with Netflix.
Their return would also place them much closer to the center of Britain’s royal and media spotlight, a striking development for a couple who left the country precisely because of the pressures surrounding royal life.
For now, the reported relocation remains a private family decision rather than a return to royal duty.
But if Harry and Meghan really do move back to Britain this month, the Sussex story could be entering its most unexpected chapter yet.
